Monday, August 11, 2008

Tales from the playground & Chinese adoption

Saturday morning we got up bright and early. I had a million butterflies in my tummy. Today was going to be a life changing day. At 6:00 am, the nerves were in full force. We got the kids up and fed them breakfast, and then took them to my parents house. The kids all went in the playroom, and I don't think any one of them cared less that we were leaving. I guess they like it at Grandma & Papa's house. ;-)



We drove an hour and a half north of us, where we met with a guy named Brian. By this point my stomach was in knots. I had people keep asking me if I was excited. I tried to fake a smile and say "yes" - I'm not sure how convincing I was. It was almost like an out of body experience. Everyone else seemed so excited, and I just stood there with a blank stare on my face - wondering what all the fuss was about. We signed some papers - got asked again if we were excited - wrote out a huge check (which made me almost puke on the spot) - and then were taken to a room that was very shiny and white. There, before my eyes, was my new baby in all of her -- or his ???? glory. My brand new VAN! There, I said it. I am the proud (trying to convince myself here) owner of a van. Something I swore I would NEVER EVER drive. I didn't want to be one of those Mom's. However, I think all of those Mom's felt the same as me when they bought their first van. ;-)

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on whether or not your glass is half full, or half empty) this particular H*nda dealership was offering this van for a price that we couldn't say no to. AAAHHH - still can't believe I have a van. Here it is ...


However ......... I must be honest with myself here. We have had it for 48 hours, and I am in love. Seriously in love. In fact, I went out there after the kids went down for their nap and just looked at it. For a van, it's quite beautiful. ;-) The inside is an electronics freak (like me!) dream. There are so many buttons, and things to play with. I call it the lazy persons van. There isn't anything you have to do manually. You can talk to the van and it will do everything for you. You want the radio off, but you're too lazy to push the power button -- just tell it to shut the radio off -- little Miss thing will shut it off for you. Want restaurant reviews -- again -- not a problem. Just enter the type of food you want, and it will tell you what is in the area -- with reviews. ... and with three kids in car seats, it was a must. The kids love having their space.



We went to pick the kids up, and sometime between the time we got there and the time we left, my sunglasses disappeared. My sweet little three year old is convinced that he went in a rocketship and took my sunglasses to the moon. Um, OK. ;-) Seriously though, I have to find them. I love these sunglasses! On our way home, our brand new van would get its first flaw. A stinkin' rock hit our windshield and cracked it. The poor thing wasn't even 12 hours old. Ugh!!



Yesterday the weather was picture perfect, so we took a road trip. We ended up in a city on the river. It was GORGEOUS! We had a picnic, and then the kids played on the play equipment. This is where my tales from the playground comes in. Someone explain to me why some kids are such stinkers? There were so many kids that were just flat out mean to my boys. My boys are only 3 and 2 ... and these kids were so rude. There was one little boy who was probably 5 - he was so rude to my little L. At one point I was thinking BRAT! - but instead of just thinking it, it came out of my mouth. OMG! I was horrified, but darn it - I was mad. He kept telling L to get off of things, and to move - it was making me NUTS! Not once did I ever see any parents around. What is up with that? Where is the supervision? No wonder these kids behave the way that they do.



I was chasing after N & L, and G was with M over by the swings. I kept seeing this woman stare at M, and could not figure out what she was looking at. Finally she got up and walked closer to G. She stood there for a few minutes, and I was still trying to figure out what she wanted. G told me that she asked him where M was from. It turns out that she is waiting for a child from China. She is in month 26 of her wait. Bless her heart. She just kept smiling at M, and I could tell she just dreaming of her future. My heart breaks for her. She told G that she thinks she'll be waiting another two years. ??? I hope that isn't true. There is no way I would stay sane during that kind of a wait. I would be locked up in a padded room - no lie. I went nuts during our wait last year, and it was NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING compared to what these poor people are going through. I was so happy that she came over and talked to G, and M ... I remember those days well. I'd see parents with little girls from China or Korea, and would so badly want to talk to them, but felt weird going up to them and starting a conversation. However, if they are anything like me - I welcome it! I love talking to people about our adoption - especially people that are in the process.



Did anyone catch the mens relay (swimming) last night? How awesome was that?! LOVED IT!



Have a great week!!!

No comments: